A Million Hands
- Category: Latest
- Published: Tuesday, 02 June 2015 10:23
- Hits: 14572
A Million Hands, part of our Community Impact strategic objective, is making great progress but needs your help to ensure that sectional leaders, Group Scout Leaders and anyone involved in the programme are aware and have registered their interest at scouts.org.uk/communityimpact to communicate and encourage this into their 2015/16 programme and to use the A Million Hands website and get involved in Scout Community Week.
What is A Million Hands?
For over a hundred years we have promised to help other people. Making a positive impact on communities is part of our DNA. But imagine what we could achieve if we rallied behind the same causes.
A Million Hands is an ambition to mobilise half a million Scouts to support four big social issues chosen by young people by the end of 2018 and to build real and lasting relationships in communities that become a core part of Scouting.
The issues young people chose were:
• Improving mental wellbeing and resilience of families, Scout Groups and broader society, supported by Mind and the Scottish Association for Mental Health and the Northern Ireland Association for Mental Health
• Ensuring everyone, everywhere has access to clean water and sanitation, supported by WaterAid,
Please don’t contact partners locally or nationally until we have released the resources in late July and the partners are have capacity to support Scouting.
Why take part in A Million Hands?
• 87% of young people say Scouting should provide Community Impact project opportunities
• Follow the projects and achieve the Community Impact Staged Activity Badges.
• Fulfil requirements for the World Challenge Awards, Chief Scout’s, Queen’s Scout and Duke of Edinburgh Awards, as well as a raft of other Activity Badges.
• Hundreds of section activities available in downloadable Resource Packs launching week commencing 20 July
• Access to request national partner local speakers